Live Well Tasmania in collaboration with RESEED and Permaculture Tasmania are proud to establish community Seed Banks for our northwest corner of the State. Two Seed Banks, to be co-located in Wynyard and Penguin, will provide a space for our community to save and share seeds sourced and grown locally which are adapted to local conditions.
This project aims to:
- create a network of friends, neighbours, gardeners, farmers, permaculture practitioners and everyone in between to fulfill the function of preserving locally adapted varieties.
- to secure community sufficiency through food sovereignty and community resilience
- conserving biodiversity at the local level
- to encourage sharing and swapping of a valuable resource to reduce economic barriers to growing food
- to encourage pollinator attracting plantings which support bees and other beneficial insects
Using the Seed Bank is as simple as: Making a deposit or withdrawal. You deposit seed saved from your garden and in turn take seed from the Bank. We will also have heritage (true) seed which will be made available for a compulsory gold coin donation. To ensure our Seed Banks remain financially viable and sustainable into the future it is important our community gets behind this initiative by supporting it’s operation.
ALL donations of seed maybe made to the deposit boxes located at:
Live Well Tasmania – 28 Saunders St, Wynyard and
RESEED Centre – 30 King Edward St, Penguin
Launching on Saturday 22nd August 2020 at 2pm-330pm at the RESEED Centre – 30 King Edward St, Penguin. Attendance by invitation only due to COVID19 restrictions.
Email enquiries to projectmanager[at]lwt.org.au